1. What is Shepherd’s Canyon Retreat?
Shepherd’s Canyon Retreat is an experience for full-time church workers—clergy, teachers, Directors of Christian Education, military chaplains, music ministers, missionaries, and others—who need a renewal of the power and strength the the Lord designed for their calling; who need a recovery of their spiritual and emotional vitality in an atmosphere that is save, confidential, and restorative.
Shepherd’s Canyon Retreat is an independent, non-profit, 501 c3 organization, with a Board of Directors made up of lay leaders, clergy, and counseling professionals.
3. From where is funding for this ministry coming?
Donations from individuals, congregations, and foundations.
4. Are all rostered Lutheran church workers and their spouses welcome?
5. Are clergy and spouses from other denominations welcome?
Absolutely ! Yes!
6. What happens at a SCR session?
Four client couples (singles are welcome too) experience individual, couple, and group counseling. There is time for reflection, reading, resting, and physical exercise.
7. What is the daily schedule at a Shepherd’s Canyon Retreat session?
The session begins when the four client couples (or eight individuals) gather for dinner on Tuesday evening. After breakfast on Wednesday morning, there is a time of orientation. Couple and group counseling takes place each morning. Couples and individuals meet in private sessions in the afternoons and evenings upon appointment. Sessions continue on Thursday, Friday, part of Sunday and all day Monday. Most of Saturday is "off" for sightseeing, resting, hiking, swimming, and just hanging out. The retreat concludes with breakfast on Tuesday morning.
8. Who are the counselors/therapists and what is their training and experience?
SCR counselors include active and retired Christian Clinical Psychologists, Licensed Professional Counselors, and Licensed Marriage and Family Therapists. Our counselors have a combined 225+ years of experience.
10. Does each SCR staff include a Chaplain and why?
The SCR Chaplain conducts morning and evening devotions, offers personal spiritual direction, and conducts an informal Sunday worship service.
11. Where are SCR sessions held?
Retreats are held at Standing Stones, located in Arizona's high desert, 15 miles west of Wickenburg, AZ. The actual address is 44020 West US Hwy 60, Wickenburg, AZ 85390.
12. How much does a SCR cost?
For cost information, please Contact Shepherd’s Canyon Retreat at 800-783-3079
13. Are scholarship funds available?
Yes, upon request.
14. Does insurance over any of the funding?
In Lieu of insurance reimbursement we will provide scholarship assistance.
15. When are Shepherd’s Canyon Retreat sessions held?
Specific dates can be found at the SCHEDULE link on this website.
16. Is attendance at a SCR session completely confidential?
Will anyone know that I have attended a SCR? Not unless you tell them about it. Yes, it is completely confidential.
17. What is the registration procedure?
Simple! Just call our Clinical Care Director, Pastor Phill Lee at 206-601-5217. After a conversation with Phil, be in touch with Dave Anderson at Dave@ShepherdsCanyonRetreat.org or call 800-783-3079. Dave will help with retreat and travel logistics.
18. When did Shepherd’s Canyon Retreat begin?
The first Shepherd’s Canyon Retreat was held in March, 2009 and hosted by Bison Ranch in the Ponderosa Forest of Northeast Arizona. Subsequent retreats have been held at Bison Ranch, Heartwood Conference & Retreat Center in Wisconsin, and Spirit in the Desert Retreat Center, Carefree, AZ. Retreats are now held at the ministry home-base called Standing Stones locate on 8.8 acres, 15 miles of Arizona's "cowboy town", Wickenburg, on US Hwy 60--90 minutes northwest of the Phoenix Sky Harbor airport.
19. From where have Shepherd’s Canyon Retreat client come?
Shepherd’s Canyon Retreat clients have come from Minnesota, Wisconsin, Iowa, Montana, Washington, California, Arizona, Ohio, South Dakota, Kentucky, Montana, Oregon, Texas, Oklahoma, Virginia, Indiana,Maryland, Florida, Kansas, Nebraska, and a few other states. You may find the comments of past clients at the link called Testimonials.